Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A Tribute to my Grandfather

My grandfather, who I call Thata passed away on 22nd October, 2007 in the middle of the morning back in Bangalore, India and with that one of the most monumental influences of my early years left us for another world, we will never know. Below is a letter , that I wrote to him and I hope he'll read it some day.
Dear Thata,
I just want you to know, that for me, you have not passed away. It's just that your physical presence is missing and all that you are and everything you stood for will always remain with me for as long as it gets...
I want you to know that I still remember and cherish those moments , when I was a 5 year old brat and you would walk me to school and in your own patient way , somehow convince me to get into school telling me that, you will be back for me in 3 hours time to pick me up for lunch. I somehow reluctantly used to let go of your hands (at the gate) and make my way inside the school, waiting for the moment the bell rang for lunch so that I could run to you waiting outside school. You would then take me home for lunch and on the way you would tell me what grandmom had cooked for lunch. It would still be an uphill struggle for me to come back to school post-lunch and I can safely say that without you , I doubt I would have ever attended school.
I also remember the time, when back in 5th grade, I got off the school bus one evening and I was surprised to see you waiting for me at the bus stop. You took me to my favorite fruit juice center and later on the way home told me that my mother's mother had passed away and that my parents had rushed to New Delhi. I was quite shocked , but somehow the way you told me and patted me on my back experessing your condolences somehow absorbed all the shock that could have possibly been. I want to thank you for that moment and all other moments of strength
Years later you broke into tears, when news came of Kittu Thata's demise in a road accident and I went to hug you to tell him that everything would be fine. You looked at me and cried and said thank you and I still cant forget that moment. Thata, I want to tell you I was there for you in that time and I will always be there for you.
I could not visit you that often after I began to work because I moved out of Bangalore and whatever time I did visit, I was so proud of the fact that you were so fit despite your age and you would have put young men to shame. However, deep below I was sad at not being able to be there with you more often, and I still regret it to this day and there's nothing I can do about it now that you're gone but Thatha, please remember I'd like to make up for it someday when I meet you again. I also bought you a gift for your 90th Birthday much after it was over hoping to give it to you when I was in Bangalore and I hope you'll like it.
Thata, you were the best person I could have had around me while I grew up. You shielded me from all my fears (including crackers) and helped me develop my strengths and become a young man. You told me so many stories about India, our culture and our history that I can never forget and most importantly it's your inherent godlike compassion for other people, and your absolute honesty in everything that has left an indelible mark on my soul and If I even do a tenth of what you've done for the people around you, I'd consider myself lucky. I'd also like you to know that we are all there for Avva and you dont have to worry at all, she'll be absolutely fine with us and she'll wave to you everday letting you know she is doing allright.
Take care Thata, and we shall meet someday.
Your's Sincerely,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Vij, this was truly beautiful, moving and heartfelt.

It made me cry.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Pooja Kamath Bhatia said...

Very touching..Truly..Reminds me of the people who leave yet live on :) Very touching!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Dithu said...

I got a lil emotional when i read this. I got reminded of my grand parents. It left my eyes moist.

Words seem less to express the gratitude! Truly, wonder what we wud have been but for them! May the souls of the departed dear ones rest in peace.

Beautifully put!

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home